Are you a startup entrepreneur strapped for money? Is lack of marketing the reason for achieving their marketing goals? Even with a little fund, you can effectively develop a marketing strategy and execute it rather than shelving the marketing efforts of your company for a later stage. This was the central theme of the seminar at the I.E.D auditorium organized by Enlve Digital Solutions, Bhubaneswar with tremendous support from Startup secretariat. With eminent guests Mr. BB Mishra, Principal, I.E.D and Dr. Asutosh Satpathy , academician from JNU and Director of Resource Development Centre focusing on trends of conventional and digital marketing and the benefits of being a recognized startup expressed necessity of setting and achieving marketing goals rather than making it just desirable. The event brought together various startups from different sectors of the business communities.
Conventional or traditional form of marketing is as important as executing your marketing strategy in the digital medium. Both these forms should be strategized for WIIFM! :What’s in it for ME? This “Me” could be your customer, your brand, your partners, investors and suppliers and for that matter anyone who invests time or resource in your business.
The seven pillars of marketing discussed at length are:
Traditional/ Conventional Marketing
T-Pillar 1. Content
T-Pillar 2. Branding
T-Pillar 3. Advertising
T-Pillar 4. PR
T-Pillar 5. Sales (Business Development, Merchandising)
T-Pillar 6. Events
T-Pillar 7. Direct (DR, Direct Mail)
D-pillar 1. Content (Copy, Video, Photography, Audio)
D-pillar 2. Design (UX, Web Design, Web Development)
D-pillar 3. Search (Organic Search – SEO, Organic CSE, Onsite Search)
D-pillar 4. Media (Paid Search, CPM, Affiliate, Retargeting)
D-pillar 5. CRM (Customer Service, Email Marketing, Contact Mgmt.)
D-pillar 6. Social (SMM, Online PR, Networks, Blogs, Games)
D-pillar 7. Mobile
Among the many critical issues that startups face is the distribution of funds and finalizing resources for targeting potential customers. This was addressed under the topic :zero budget marketing
(Almost) ZERO BUDGET MARKETING
- Website: Website being the face of the company, you need to constantly keep your company’s website updated and conduct tune-up periodically Check out for missing/broken links, typos. Web pages should load fast between 3-7 sec. As most viewers do not go past the first page of a website, the landing page must have a “Call-To-Action” button like “Subscribe”, “Sign Up”, etc. Keep your websites updated with newer pictures of your products, client testimonials.
- Content: Create fresh and witty content which would grab eyeballs and keep your social media fans coming back to your page for more.
- SEO: You need to be on the top the list for certain search items in the SERP .This can drive traffic to your site and make your site well designed which would finally lead to a higher conversion rate and generate sales. 80% of the monthly traffic comes through keyword searches relevant to your business. And your website needs to be optimized for those keywords. Utilize Google Keyword planner and Google Search Console which helps you determine what your potential customers might be searching and tuning your website to rank higher for those keyword searches.
- Blog: To strengthen yourself as an Expert, add non commercial content relevant to your business to your site by blogging. Write blogs which covers the highly searched keywords and do not aggregate your blogs with content from other sources. This not only helps to improve SEO but builds a content warehouse for your newsletters and emails.
- Newsletters: Add a personal touch to your customers, visitors, your database of potential clients by sending them emails or newsletters. Your newsletters can be even a sneak peak to your blogs or website with links to the full story
- Events & Partnerships
- Public Relations
- Social Media (Organic): Instead of building a public profile of your product build a company/product page and create posts that are catchy and engaging. Share it across your friends, social media fans and followers to increase traffic to your page.
Zero Budget marketing though is not a myth but a reality, the stated view when looked at a practical viewpoint is that, it’s not entirely free. It takes more effort than paid marketing, has to be done more carefully than paid marketing and is more customer centric than paid marketing.
Marketing your business on the social media platform essentially has 3 major advantages, more so from a startup point of view. They are:
- Targetable: Reach out and spend your advertising budget only on your target audience.
- Measurable: Measure your campaign performance & learn what went wrong and what went right.
- Cost Effective: If you draw a graph of budget on ROI, Digital Marketing surely turns out more cost effective.
Every month Enlve Solutions gathers about 100 Hot Leads for it’s client – Espirit Toyota Motor. We drill down the steps so that you can also gather hot leads for your business.
It follows a 5 step approach:
1. SET MARKETING GOALS
Before setting a marketing budget for a digital marketing campaign (or any marketing campaign for that matter), it’s essential to figure out our goals. One of the attendees Puja Phulo brilliantly portrayed their marketing goals. They have a target to reach 10,000 customers in the next 6 months (We wish them good luck for it!)
2. CONTENT CURATION
Now once you are clear about the goals, you can start going to the drawing board and start designing content that excites your target audience. Content can be photos, videos, customer testimonials and blogs. We demonstrated some sample content to explain the audience about various kinds of content.
We demonstrated one of our own campaigns to show how images along with a descriptive line can served our purpose to hire some interns to work for for us.
In case of videos, we demonstrated how we designed and developed a video that is still widely appreciated for one of our clients – Torque Classes. The video takes the form of a storyline to highlight how a higher secondary student discovered Torque Classes and is now studying in a prestigious Govt. College through expert guidance from the faculties at Torque.
In the next case, we again took one of our clients Aapki Sakhi Diamond Jewellers as an example and showcased how they promote customer testimonials to create a sense of trust among their probable customers and brand loyalty among the existing customers.
Lastly, we took a blog as an example and effectively emphasized the fact that through a sharable content curation and effective targeting, we could grow the blog www.multimeterlab.com to top rankings on Google for the keyword “India’s Best Electronics Learning Blog” even leaving behind an Industry Leading brand like EFY.
3. CUSTOMER TARGETING:
The ability to target audience based on their demographics and past activity is one of the prime advantages of social media advertising. Facebook for instance has tons of data about each of us starting from basic details like name, contact, address, etc to highly complex and personal data like the kind of things we like, our income, relationship status and so on. To bring this feature to the fore, we took an example of three people and some of their details. It was a small exercise to choose the most suitable customer profile for a hotel in Bhubaneswar. It is demonstrated in the GIF image below.
The images below give an overview about the various targeting options that you can avail on Facebook Advertising Platform:
4. RESULT ANALYSIS:
Now that your campaign is over, Digital Marketing allows you to measure your performance. It gives valuable insights like the number of audience reached, their gender, location, age, mobile device used, etc. By effectively studying these data, you can know what went right and what went wrong. This gives the power in your hands to continue doing the right things and eliminating the wrong things to further improve the campaign performance.
5. GENERATE LEADS:
If you are able to follow the steps above in the right way, you will be left with some hot leads who are willing to buy your products/services. However, it does not end here. You can do advanced email marketing to nurture leads and further improve the rate of lead conversion.
To sum it all, the BASICS of MARKETING still remain the same:
- Create a Customer Persona
- Create a Positioning Canvas
- Create a Messaging Strategy
- Create A Media Strategy
- Implement the strategies
- Create and Religiously follow schedules
Credits: Dr. Asutosh Satpaty, President, Resource Development Centre
Mr.Surya Mishra, Asst.Proffessor, KIIT School of Management
Mr.Pritam Nanda, Director Enlve Digital Solutions
Mrs.Lopa Mishra Jana, Director Enlve Digital Solutions